Friday 21 February 2014

EVALUATION| QUESTION 3

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

My magazine is aimed at young teens, and falls under the pop/chart music genre. 
As part of my research and planning, I looked at a range of different institutions and found out some information about them in order to decide what would be the best one to publish my magazine Teen Today. I finalised the list of institutions down to 2 which were IPC Media and Bauer Publishing Group.


"IPC Media LTD (formerly International Publish Corporation), a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Inc, is a consumer magazine and digital publisher in the United Kingdom, with a large portfolio selling over 350 million copies each year."  Magazines such as NME and Look are published by IPC media but both of them don't fit with my target audience or genre. This institution concentrates a lot more on woman's fashion and health magazines, producing a lot more of these than they do music magazines. However, I did notice that Teen Now is published by this company which is one of the magazines that helped influence me when I was creating my own magazine. 



"Bauer Media Group is a multinational media company headquartered in Hamburg, Germany which operates in 16 countries worldwide. Since the company was founded in 1875, it has been privately owned and under management by the Bauer family. Bauer Media is a multi-platform UK-based media Group consisting of many companies collected around two main divisions – Magazines and Radio - widely recognised and rewarded as being industry innovators. I found out that this publisher is involved with companies like 4MUSIC and Smashhits. These companies mainly focus on Pop music and stuff that is in the charts which appeals to my magazine as this is the type of genre I am going for. Even though BAUER MEDIA produce music magazines such as MOJO and Kerrang, which are completely different genres to my magazine), I know that this company produces a higher range of music magazines compared to IPC Media which concentrates more on fashion.


No comments:

Post a Comment