Monday 23 September 2013

Quantative Research

As part of my research, I created a questionnaire in order to find out the answers to things that i think will help me when creating my magazine. I created 16 questionnaires and then handed them out to people so I could get feedback.

1. How much are you willing to pay for a magazine?
After collecting my questionnaires and reading through them all, the price the majority of people are willing to pay was £1.00-£1.50. As my magazine is aimed at young children/teens, I think i will stick to using this price as it is cheap and affordable for people to buy. My target audience are more likely to buy something for this price, rather than something being around £2.


2. What colours would you like to see on the magazine?

I made this a open question in order to get a range of different ideas of what colours people are interested in. When looking at my answers, the most common colours that came back were; Red, Blue, Black and White. As my magazine is going to be aimed at girls of a younger age, I am more focusing on using colours like pink and purple. However, I do plan on putting black and white colours onto my magazine to ensure that not too much is going on. I also received an answer that said "Colours that match the image." I think this is an important thing to take in and consider as I want the magazine to have a suitable colour scheme throughout.


3. Do you attend music concerts? // If so, Who have you been to see?

 Again, this was an open question in order to find out the different artists and bands people have been to see.  The majority of people who answered my questionnaire said that they do attend concerts and have seen a lot of different people. For example some artists and bands that were mentioned are:

  • Rihanna
  • Nicki Minaj
  • One Direction
  • The Wanted
  • Katy Perry
These artists and bands fit very well into the genre of my magazine so this has helped to give me some ideas of what and who i want to include in it.


4. What do you like to read about in a 
magazine?

I made this question a multiple choice one and gave 8 different answers for people to chose from.
The answers already given were: Interviews, Reviews, Fashion, Quizzes, Real Life, Advice, Photoshoots and Other. When looking back through the questionnaire, the most common answers chosen were; Interviews, Reviews and Fashion. This has helped me to decide on what sort of articles I would like to feature in my magazine as I now know what people like to read about. It is helpful that Fashion was a popular choice to be read about as because my magazine is aimed at girls of a younger age I can include this as a feature.

5. How often do you buy magazines?

As you can see from my pie chart, the most common times people buy magazines is monthly and other. The number of people who buy magazines monthly is the same amount of number who buy magazines another period of time that isn't already mentioned. Even though that the people asked more commonly buy magazines monthly, I plan on issuing my magazine fortnightly.

6. What is your favourite genre of music?

As I was expecting, I got a range of different genres of music for this question.  The most common genres that people said was their favourite were; Pop, Indie, R&B, and Rock.

7. Would you prefer to see more text than pictures or more pictures than text?

My results came back saying that the majority of people would prefer to have a higher ratio of images to text. It is important that I take this information in and consider using this ratio when creating my magazine as it is what is more appealing to the audience.  (5 text) (10 images)

8. What most attracts you to the cover of a magazine?

In my questionnaire, I gave 4 different options to chose from to find out what is the most appealing on the front cover. The 4 options were:

  • Masthead
  • Coverlines
  • Pictures
  • Layout
More than 10 people chose Pictures as being the thing that most attracted them to the front cover of a magazine. Taking my results into consideration, I am going to concentrate on making sure that the images on my front cover are well presented and look appealing to the reader.


9. How do you find out about new music?

Looking at my results, I know that more people find out about new music from the radio. This question in particular has helped me understand what to include in my own magazine as I have found out that no-one chose magazines as how they find out about new music. I can take this information on board and maybe include a feature of 'New Music' in my magazine.

10. What sort of features would you like to see on a magazine?

I left this question as another open question in order for me to find out what features people are most interested in. The most popular features people said were; Interviews, Reviews and Pictures/Photoshoots of artists and bands.  With my target audience being young girls, I think it is important that my magazine includes a lot of images to keep them interested and make it look more appealing for them. Another feature that was mentioned by someone was posters. Again, this will help to draw in my audience as they will be attentive in receiving a free poster of their favourite band or artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment